Food-grade gelatin sheets can be used in the same way as animal hide glue. The paper-like quality of these gelatin sheets allows the user to easily cut the sheets into smaller sections with scissors or any other cutting tool.
Each gelatin sheet is marked with 80 of 1/2″ x 1/2″ diamond sections for convenience.
Note: The picture above depicts 2 gelatin sheets.
To use gelatin sheets in gilding:
- Soak two of these 1/2″ x 1/2″ diamonds for every half pint of distilled water for 20 to 30 minutes. Only use distilled water as any contamination could cloud the gold.
- Heat up the mixture on LOW heat until water vapor begins to form. Make sure to lightly stir with a clean spoon/stick/etc. during this process to ensure consistent heating throughout the mixture.
- Continue heating for about 1-2 minutes after water vapor starts forming until the gelatin dissolves completely.
- After the gelatin dissolves, let the mixture cool.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve (such as cheese cloth) to ensure that the gelatin has completely dissolved and no clumps are in the final mixture
- For every 1/2 pint of water used, add a drop of dishwashing liquid/soap to break the surface tension of the mixture, ensuring proper coverage of the mixture.